Thanks to board member Kent London our Treasurer position has been filled. Kent adds yet another hat to his VHS participation. It is much appreciated Kent!
We are still in search of a Curator. Here is a brief descriptions of the Curator position. If you are interested please contact Jan Clowes by e-mail at VHSpresident@hotmail.com.
• Reports to monthly Board meetings.
• Is responsible for accessioning, storing & displaying of Museum holdings, including documents, photographs, books & three dimensional objects.
• Provides advice to Building and Grounds Director regarding storage and display needs
• Carries out research requested by individuals who contact the museum.
• Using Past Perfect museum software, enters description and photos (if available) of all accessioned items and backs up software regularly.
• Directs volunteers in a variety of tasks including cleaning, accessioning, etc.
If you are on facebook please join our
Vassalboro Historical Society group!
One of our recent acquisitions is a wonderful group of images of the Weeks family women. The pictures are believed to be from the 1850’s (the daguerreotypes) to the 1880’s (the photographs). As the daguerreotypes were in a lovely closable case they are well preserved. (The printed views are in reverse.) One has a label that says “Weeks - Grandma Kraber’s”.
The photographs show the Weeks women with their married names noted. What a great opportunity for a genealogist!
I was able to personally visit the Weeks cemetary a few weeks ago. I have enclosed a few photos which will show that the cemetary remains in fairly good shape (although it appears that a groundhog has also found a home there, I will stop in again and make sure that he doesn’t dig any further).
If you have an interest in viewing these images, please contact the museum at 207-923-3505.
Photos to the right are from a Work Bee at Ina's Barn on Saturday 7/26/14. Thanks to all who
helped....we made great progress getting the cellar cleaned out so we
can move the bobsled and wooden washing machines down there, freeing up
more space. Another Work Bee is planned for August 23rd at 9 am. PLEASE JOIN US!!!